Posted by Krysbrem 3 comments

...... oh to be able to turn this voice off in my head.

I have been wondering for a while now what I am going to do once my children have enough clothes and once those around me are sick of clothes for presents. Then someone asked me on the phone during the week had I thought about markets.

To be totally honest the thought has crossed my mind a number of times but with that cross comes questions:
~ Are they good enough?
~ Do people really need another 'home mum sewer' to pick from?
~ Do I have the time to actually man a local market?
~ Which one? Where? Costs?

So many questions, so little time and so few answers.

I think I need to set a target on where I would like to go, what I would like to be doing, by when etc.... You know all the normal things that come with going from doing it just for you to doing it for others and of course for money.

On the topic of money, how do you decide what is right to charge? You don't want to be over priced, but you don't want to undervalue yourself either....

ummm ponderings.



Krys

Categories: , , ,

3 Responses

  1. Liss says:

    eek. Was that me turning things on in your head? I think you need to survey the market and see if anyone else at the market does anything close to what you do... if they do, see what they charge, their quality, their stock and estimate how much business they do. The tip is to offer something unique and/or at superior quality that has value for money - i.e. would you spend $15 on a bonds singlet with applique on it? I probably wouldn't but I might spend $8 IYKWIM. Then look at the stall costs, your time and see whether it's worth it to you on either/all creativity/time/money bases... ?

  2. Penelope says:

    Liss has some good advice. I'd check out the markets up the hill (do you know the ones I'm talking about?), that'd give you an idea, but they're so popular now that they might cost a bit too much to set up a stall...

  3. Krysbrem says:

    Liss you just made me think about it again, I had already been toying with things :) And you are right there is no way in hell I would pay $15 for a singlet, no matter how pretty it has been made LOL

    Alissa I know the ones you are talking about and will head up there next month, there is also another new one closer to me on a Sunday and I am pretty sure it is around $45 for that stall and last time I went they didn't have much along these lines.

    We'll see